14 The Mute man with an evil spirit
THE MUTE MAN, POSSESSED WITH AN EVIL SPIRIT
Matthew 9:32-34 (NIV)
32 While they were going out, a man who was demon-possessed and could not talk was brought to Jesus. 33 And when the demon was driven out, the man who had been mute spoke. The crowd was amazed and said, "Nothing like this has ever been seen in Israel." 34 But the Pharisees said, "It is by the prince of demons that he drives out demons."
1. Identify as completely as possible the person in need (e.g., age, ethnic origin, religion, gender, social status).
2. What was the immediate, obvious need?
3. Who took the initiative in effecting the healing?
The person in need?
Others? Jesus? ~.
How was it expressed?
4. Describe the actions or process leading to the healing; that is, what was said (e.g., questions, requests, commands) and what was done (e.g., approaching, following, touching, publicly/privately), and by whom?
5. Did the person in need or someone else verbally express faith? Non-verbally? Describe how and by whom faith was involved in this healing.
6. What were the evidences that the person was healed?
7. What were the reactions to the healing?
8. What in this narrative led Jesus to minister healing to the person in need?
1. Was this a physical, emotional, mental or spiritual healing? (Discuss your answer.)
2. Was there a unique element of this healing?
3. What lesson(s) have you learned about healing from this account?