03 Mother-in-law of Simon
SIMON'S MOTHER-IN-LAW WITH A FEVER
Matthew 8:14-15 (NIV)
14 When Jesus came into Peter's house, he saw Peter's mother-in-law lying in bed with a fever. 15 He touched her hand and the fever left her, and she got up and began to wait on him.
Mark 1:29-31 (NIV)
29 As soon as they left the synagogue, they went with James and John to the home of Simon and Andrew. 30 Simon's mother-m-law was in bed with a fever, and they told Jesus about her. 31 So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her and she began to wait on them.
Luke 4:38-39 (NIV)
38 Jesus left the synagogue and went to the home of Simon. Now Simon's mother-in-law was suffering from a high fever, and they asked Jesus to help her. 39 So he bent over her and rebuked the fever, and it left her. She got up at once and began to wait on them.
1. Identify as completely as possible the person in need (e.g., age, ethnic origin, religion, gender, social status).
2. What was the immediate, obvious need?
3. Who took the initiative in effecting the healing?
The person in need? Others? Jesus? ~.
How was it expressed?
4. Describe the actions or process leading to the healing; that is, what was said (e.g., questions, requests, commands) and what was done (e.g., approaching, following, touching, publicly/privately), and by whom?
5. Did the person in need or someone else verbally express faith? ~. Non-verbally? Describe how and by whom faith was involved in this healing.
6. What were the evidences that the person was healed?
7. What were the reactions to the healing?
8. What in this narrative led Jesus to minister healing to the person in need?
1. What is the setting or background for this healing?
2. What does the word "rebuke" imply, as used in this healing?
3. What must Jesus have felt about the fever that caused him to rebuke it?
4. What lesson(s) have you learned about healing from this account?